Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Substituting

Wow! I cannot believe how amazing kindergarteners are! I have been a substitute for two different kindergarten classes and they are soooo cute! I had a few tell me that they love me and will miss me when I leave. Aww....

Today the kindergarten class that I had went to the pumpkin patch with their third grade big buddies. I have to say that the third graders were more of a handful than the kindergarteners. At least my class listened to instructions the first time!

We walked about a mile to the pumpkin patch where the kids got to play and run around. They then got to pick a small pumpkin, gourd, and a mini pumpkin. The kinders loaded their bundles into a parent volunteers trunk, "Umm...what is your name again?" "Ms. Maley" "Ms. Maley, I got the biggest pumpkin out of everybody" "Oh! well good for you, make sure you put your pumpkins in the trunk and go back to the pumpkin patch."

We walked the mile back to the school and ate snack, a minute later the kids went to lunch.

I think the only meltdown I had today was when one of the students began hitting other students with a book. "Elliot! please come here!.........why were you hitting those students with your book?" "umm...." studnet bursts into tears, "I DOOOONT KNOOOOOOWWWWW!" waahhh. "oh, well it's ok! just don't hit anymore ok?" "OK"

Elliot proceeded to follow me around the classroom until he felt comfortable again (about 5 minutes). It was very cute and funny.

I really like kindergarteners now. They listen to you! Which is a hard thing to come by with older students unless you have been introduced to the class by the teacher.

I may or may not be substituting tomorrow. We will see! Wish me luck!

No comments: