Sunday, October 19, 2008

Military ID

I decided to backtrack a little bit and tell you about my experience getting my military id. It was definitely an adventure!

Mind you I had not been on a military base in 10+ years. I knew that they would give me a hard time because I am a civilian, but I didn't expect it to be too big of a deal.

After driving about an hour on the dreaded 101 highway (more potholes than actual road) I arrived at the Naval base. I can't remember what it is called right now but it is on an island right next to the city of Oakland. It was September 5th, right after labor day, and it was beautiful. The sun was blazing but a slight breeze made it tolerable.

I drove up to the entrance after crossing a small bridge (the only way to get on and off the island!) and was stopped by the "gatekeeper". hee hee, I know that is not what he is called but I can't remember their title. It took them about 15 minutes to confirm who I was and then I was allowed to drive onto the base. It was strange for me, like stepping into a dream. I had been on bases for so much of life but it still schocked me to see everyone in uniform. I felt so out of place there and I felt like everyone was staring at me because I was obviously a silly civilian.

I entered the building that had the office to process my application. It was air conditioned (yay!) and full of small rooms. I was so confused, there was no hallway or clear entrance. I was also scared that I would enter the wrong room and be accused of doing something wrong! EEK!

I eventually found the room and sat down in the middle of a row of chairs. I was surrounded by old people and watched FOX news.....

The most interesting part of my half an hour waiting experience was when a young man tried to talk to me. He asked me what service I was in and if I had just joined. I told him that it was actually my husband that was in the Air Force. I told him that he was at training at Lackland AFB. For some reason this ended all conversation. I don't know why but he immediately faced forward and didn't even make eye contact with me anymore. My only guess is that he either wanted to ask me out and when he found out I was married decided to remove himself from the conversation OR he didn't think it was appropriate for a private to talk to an officer's wife. Either way, it was really really weird.

I was finally called to the office where they would give me my id. The guy who helped me was sooooooo serious! I think he was cranky from not taking a lunch. But I eventually got my id and left the office without complaint.

Driving back to the house was just as uneventful as getting there, except for the potholes :).

Ultimately, I had a great time if only because of the beautiful weather.

No comments: